Mark (mhaithaca) wrote,

Back at work (215.4)

I ended up giving up any thoughts of driving to my parents' house on Monday afternoon when my boss moved our weekly meeting from morning (mid-morning for some, though not for me) to mid-afternoon, putting it square in the middle of when two of us had plans to leave early for Passover. Ah well. The other skipped the meeting; I probably should have, too.

The family Seder wasn't quite as chaotic as dinners with that extended family can get. None of the kids melted down. My cousins host the dinner these days, since they've got a way bigger dining room than my parents have, and they want to include more folks from the other side of the family than would fit in our house. I really enjoyed meeting and chatting with Rob's mom's sister, who'd been married to a guy from Cornell Cooperative Extension. Early on, they'd owned a summer camp not far from where beeeej and I went to camp.

Rather than rush back to Ithaca yesterday morning, I decided to relax a little, doing some work from my parents' house and hanging out with them a bit longer. I was rewarded with some matzah brie, made by my dad. While my mom went to an oncologist's appointment (so far, so good, for the most part) I popped out to White Plains to test-drive one of BMW's all-wheel-drive cars. I'm trying to be a little more thorough about trying out the various AWD options before I make a final decision. Then it was some leftover homemade chicken soup, salmon salad, cole slaw, and of course matzah for lunch.

The drive back was uneventful, and I got to join a friend's birthday party at Corks & More, a cool wine-and-tapas place with a self-serve wine gimmick. Headed up the hill for trivia. We did not win. Not by a long shot. That's fine; if we come in first or second nearly every week, the other teams will start to get bored. :-)

I began today at Guthrie for an annual physical, which with George is as much chatting about hockey and travel as it is about healthcare, though of course there's plenty of the latter. :-) I then sat in the lab waiting room for a half hour before starting to wonder if they were expecting me and poking my head in the door. She looked around and found my little lab slip. "Oh, here you are." *sigh* No apology or anything. I'll just send them a bill.

Then it was down the hill to give blood at the Tabernacle Baptist Church, inhaling a banana en route since the lab tech had left me without time to grab anything more substantial. Good thing I had the banana in my car from yesterday's drive. Giving blood was especially torturous today; it being Passover, I couldn't eat any of the awesome home-baked cookies they have at the church blood drives! I also remembered to grab the five-gallon pin I'd forgotten to ask for last time, and it occurred to me how appropriate it is that my 42nd blood donation will be at a science fiction convention this summer! I want a "Don't Panic" blood donor pin for that one.

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded